Milk is a dairy product that can be found in your refrigerator every day. It is a kind of product that is often ignored but actually, it is something we can’t like without.
Just imagine your life without milk, no tea, no coffee, there itself your morning is ruined. There will be black tea and coffee, but who thinks of them unless you become health-conscious, right?
So, is milk necessary for a camping trip? You will get the answer to all your queries through this article. Everything from uses of milk in camping, ways of carrying milk, to How To Pack Milk For Camping, to how can you preserve milk in camping, we will tell you about every small information you need to know.
So, without further ado, let’s get right into it.
Why Need Milk While Camping?
So, what do you think are the uses of milk on a camping trip? Try to remember all the uses that you can think of.
Found some? Let’s see the uses then:
- For morning tea or coffee, you will need milk. As we have said, black tea or coffee, as well as green tea, doesn’t require any milk, but generally, every one of us needs a cup of milk tea or coffee to start our morning.
- For babies, you need milk. You may have planned a barbecue for lunch and dinner, but what about the babies? They depend on milk to fill their empty stomach and so, if you have a kid to take camping, you have to prepare for carrying milk.
- For preparing some dishes, you may need to use milk. A few very tasty cuisines of the world use milk as an ingredient, and if you want to try out preparing one of them, you need milk.
- To stay healthy, some people generally prefer to have a glass of milk every day. So, if you are one of those people, there are different ways to carry your milk.
As we can see, there are many uses of milk and you may have to carry milk for any of these reasons. So, you can go to the next sections to know the rest about milk and camping.
If you are interested to know how you can carry meat while camping, you can check it out here.
Types Of Milk Available In Market
Did you know that there are different types of milk available in the market? Not all are suitable for camping, so you have to be very careful about what type of milk you are choosing.
Condensed milk is milk in the form of syrup and can be found in tubes or cans. You can use them in tea or coffee. It makes the tea creamy and makes it taste good. You can easily store it without refrigeration and also the problem of spilling milk can be avoided by using condensed milk.
The best substitute for milk in the world at the moment is powdered milk. You can use it anywhere in place of liquid milk, just that you will have to add water and mix with it.
Powdered milk can be stored in the open, but you have to prevent it from getting moisture inside its container.
UHT or Long- Life Milk
For a camping trip, Ultra Hight Temperature Milk (UHT Milk) is the best option. They can be easily found in supermarkets and they come in 20 mL packs, which are the best for one cup of tea. The packaging is durable and they can be placed in any small corner of your luggage.
You can use one pack at a time, and so if you are planning to go on a trip for a long time, this is the best liquid milk substitute.
How To Preserve Milk For Camping?
There are so many options available, as you know, like condensed milk or UHT milk, but still, you may need to carry raw milk directly and preserve it in the camp, as it is the best for the health of your kid and family. They also taste the best. So, for that, you can use some tricks.
1. Get A Cool Box Or Cooler:
Cooler is the best option to have on a camping trip for any kind of food, be it meat or milk. Coolers can be bought for the long term and are very portable. You will need to have separate coolers for meat and milk, so buying two coolers may be a little expensive.
If more than one cooler seems expensive to you, you can get yourself a cool box for carrying milk. They are generally made of plastic and provide insulation from the external environment to the milk inside. There are three types of cool boxes available.
- Passive Cool Boxes are similar to coolers where the ice provides the cooling inside and they can keep food cool for about a week, considering that you buy a decent quality cool box.
- Active Cool Boxes are an upgrade to the passive cool boxes. They have an option of plugging into electric ports or carports and they have an integrated fan system to keep the food inside cool. If you are having an RV, this is the best for you because they are both cheap and provide good quality.
- Three-Way Fridges are the best among the cool boxes. They usually run on electricity but have a leisure battery that can also be used. You can even use gas cylinders to run a three-way fridge. They are quite expensive though, and if you aren’t thinking for the long term, you shouldn’t even consider a three-way fridge.
2. Prepare The Cool Box Before Hand:
Preparing your cool box beforehand is very important to ensure that your milk doesn’t get sour. You have to place some ice cubes or ice block in the cool box a few hours before you transfer the milk into the box. This will ensure that the milk stays cool for a long.
Another thing that you have to do is freeze the milk before placing it in the cool box. This can be done by keeping the milk in the freezer one or two days before the camp.
Even a cheap cool box can keep your milk warm for three to four days if the milk is previously frozen. Also, store your cool box in the shade at all times.
3. Provide Extra Protection To Your Cool Box:
There are some things that you can do to provide some extra insulation to your cooler. You can keep a damp and wet cloth wrapped around your passive cool box.
Remember that the active cool box will get damaged if you wrap a wet cloth around it. You can add a lining of foil to reflect sunlight from the cool box.
If you have a passive cool box or a cooler, you can pack it tightly to avoid airflow, and if you use an active cool box, you have to pack loosely to ensure airflow.
4. Keep Changing Ice Packs:
In some campsites here in the US, you can find places where you can freeze ice blocks. This will let you rotate your ice packs to keep the cool box cold for as long as you want.
But we advise you to plan your trip such that you don’t have the luxury to change ice packs because this won’t be possible everywhere. But you can check beforehand if your campsite has a freezer for ice blocks and plan accordingly.
5. Go Natural:
At your campsite, if you have a stream flowing nearby, you can opt for the natural way of keeping your milk cold. This entirely depends on the surroundings though. You have to follow a simple procedure for that:
- First, look for a shady area in the stream where the sunlight won’t be able to reach.
- Next, find a rock or a tree branch on which you can rest your milk can or bottle. This will stop it from flowing away.
- Finally, get a waterproof bag or container where you can keep your milk and avoid water from the stream getting mixed with the milk.
The speed of water in a stream flows at high speed which makes the water cold. This temperature is enough to keep your milk cold and drinkable.
Similarly, you can use a bucket of cold water instead of a stream and keep the milk container immersed in it.
6. Separate All Cold Food:
You may be urged to keep all your preserved food in one place but this is not a good idea. You must always keep your milk away from other things like meat in a separate cooler or cool box. This will keep your milk usable for a long without getting sour.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Now that you know the tricks, we hope that you can easily carry milk to your camp and preserve it. Of all the methods, having a cool box is the best because it reduces so much of our effort.
You can find a good cool box easily in the market and always look for quality over low price. Life is uncertain and who knows what can happen the next moment, so knowing these tricks can come in handy at all times.
Share with us your camping adventures and stories and also tell us how you keep your milk warm during camping through the comment section below.
Happy Camping Folks!